In the past year I have achieved some of the goals I set for myself in 2010 and some fell freely by the wayside. I will resurrect a few for 2011 and others I will be more precise in defining them. I will celebrate all that I have accomplished, as we all should. We need to celebrate event he mistakes we made but if we realized it, those mistakes taught us valuable lessons and this is cause for celebration. In fact, when I review my list I see that I missed many targets but what is missing are the things I achieved that cannot be defined by the written word. Those are memorable days, nights and events written from and by the heart.
2010 GOALS, check, check…
- Live better, love better, laugh harder and longer and much more often. THIS WAS DONE.
- Write three (3) screenplays and sell one (1) screenplay. STUCK IN ACT II HELL BUT WILL REVISIT.
- Finish the novel that I started in 2009. STARTED A NEW ONE WHICH IS NEAR COMPLETION.
- Travel more to local places, places within an hour or two to drive. ALMOST EVERY WEEKEND AND I WENT FARTHER THAN EXPECTED.
- Travel to a new city. PARIS AND I WILL GO BACK AGAIN.
- Get a better paying job that fulfills me and adds to the betterment of humanity. TOO LOFTY A GOAL PERHAPS AND THUS FAR, NO FORWARD MOVEMENT HERE BUT…
- Lose 60 pounds. I WOULD HAVE BEEN HOSPITALIZED BUT I WILL UPDATE TO 40 POUNDS.
- Do yoga three times a week. SOME WEEKS YES, SOME WEEKS NO.
- Meditate daily. SEE NUMBER 8…
- Go for a walk around the neighbourhood three times a week. THIS WAS DONE.
- Cut out sugar. NOPE, NO LUCK BUT I AM USING ORGANIC CANE SUGAR.
- No cigar smoking. BACK ON THE LIST AND I WILL BE STRONG ON THIS ONE IN 2011.
- Spend more quality time with family and friends. DONE AND WITH GREAT ENTHUSIASM AND HAVE MADE SOME NEW FRIENDS ALONG THE WAY.
- Make time to read the books on my reading list and on my bookshelves. DONE AND DONE.
- Produce one new painting a month. If not, then two the following month and so on, and so on. SADLY NOT DONE AS PAINTING IS MY GREATEST JOY. AT THE TOP OF THE 2011 LIST.
- Write up that Edgar Cayce story/script/outline. NOPE, FORGOT ALL ABOUT THIS ONE.
- Take my Spanish to the next level—-fluency. SI, NEARLY THERE.
- Go to see a movie at the theatre at least once a month. STARTED OUT WELL AND FIZZLED.
- Find some worthwhile volunteer work. MY HEART LIES WITH ENVIRONMENTAL AND ANIMAL RESCUE WORK.
- Spend less and pare down to keep life simple. Quality, not quantity. ASIDE FROM PARIS, DONE.
- Have connective, compassionate, passionate sex. NO ONE’S BUSINESS BUT MINE. I WILL ADD IT TO THE 2011 GOAL LIST.
2010 was a wonderful year for me for many reasons. No one that I love died. My brother finally separated from a horrible marriage and is finally finding the happiness he deserves even if it comes in small measures. My sister left her 10-year relationship at the beginning of November. Packed up and left. Who leaves someone before Christmas I ask you? I would ask her this but she has yet to call me because she knows I will be brutally honest with her and that she is unwilling to hear my straight talk. I love her regardless but if you cannot share your choices with the ones who love you, then perhaps your choices are unwise after all.
My dearest friends Mothers have both been diagnosed with two types of cancer. Both of them have little stuffing and weigh in at a mere 98 pounds but these women are of such grit, such spirit as to give courage to all.
My own Mother suffered her health scars this year. Many of her battles begin in the past and wear her down. She is stubborn and we argue over the silliest things. Much of the time I want to smack her much as she likely wanted to smack me as the obstinate child who has become the obstinate adult but she is and always will be the only Mother I will ever have. It is an unconditional love, limitless in its compassion and depth. I met a woman on the train recently who told me that I was lucky to have my Mother as both her parents had passed away. She is right, and I know it.
My job leaves much to be desired but there have been days of pure joy and for that I am grateful. Most of all, I have been loved and have been allowed to love others and I am full of gratitude for this life, my simple, yet full of kindness, love, humour and hopeful life. A life well lived and truly lived in doing the things I want to do.
I have had my ups and downs, this is life. Life isn’t fair, nor is it perfect. You can kill yourself in your attempts at perfection and for what? We are all perfect imperfection and that is more than enough.
I try not to timidly quote Thoreau but instead honour him by living my life by his teachings and guidance. I think he would be proud. I am.
I hope each and every one of you make good choices in the coming year. Choices based on what makes you feel like you are living the life God meant for you, a life of your purpose and no one else’s. This is truly living, true freedom of heart, mind, body and spirit. This is how I believe all humans are meant to live. Live your life in love and you will find all that you seek. This is my wish for you today and all the days that follow.
♥ PEACE ON EARTH AND GOODWILL TO ALL ♥